Hastings-Sunrise Better at Home Volunteer Opportunity
Hastings-Sunrise Better at Home is a program designed to help seniors continue living independently by providing non-medical support services.
Hastings- Sunrise is a very diverse and vibrant community in the north-eastern corner of Vancouver. It is located within the following boundaries:
- Nanaimo St. east to Boundary Road.
- East Broadway north to the Burrard Inlet
Our program is currently offering the following volunteer-based services:
1. Friendly Visiting: Volunteers are matched with seniors for companionship and to increase their connection to the community!
2. Transportation: Door-to-door driving service for medical appointments, to run errands or go shopping.
3. Grocery Shopping Assistance: Support seniors during weekly grocery shopping trips.
As a Better at Home volunteer, you can volunteer in more than one service.
Please keep in mind, all our services are available only during the week, from Monday to Friday.
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Speak English (Second languages are an asset )
- Can commit for 6 months at least
- Enjoy working with seniors
- Have excellent communication skills
- Are patient
- Are willing to attend orientation & training sessions for their development
- Are 19 years old and above
All our volunteer applicants must:
- Submit two (2) non-family reference checks
- Agree to undergo a Criminal Record Check
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer driver, you will also need to:
- Have a valid Canadian driver’s license
- Have at least 3 years of driving experience
- Submit a copy of your driver’s abstract from ICBC
- Submit a copy of your vehicle insurance if you are using your own car
- Be a safe driver with no at-fault accidents and no more than 2 traffic violations in the past 3 years
Help seniors maintain their dignity and independence! Volunteering for Better at Home can be a fulfilling experience.
To find out more or apply please contact:
or fill out an online application http://bit.do/betterathome