Activity Coordinator (AC — Com 20-01)
|Status||Regular Part-Time (benefits available after probation)|
|Collective Agreement||Community Subsector|
|Salary||$23.33 – $25.32/ hour|
|Hours of Work||18.75 hours per week|
About the SUCCESS Multi-Level Care Society
To care for the seniors like our own by providing a continuum of excellent, culturally appropriate services for them. In 1995, the S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Multi-Level Care Society was incorporated with the purpose of establishing linguistically and culturally appropriate care for those seniors in our community. It has now developed into a provider of quality residential care and health services.
Under the direction of the Director of Community Services and performs duties in accordance with the Society and program’s philosophy, vision and mission, goals and objectives. To develop, implement, and evaluate recreation/leisure programs designed to support client’s health and well being.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, implements and evaluates recreation/leisure program(s), including activities such as crafts, music, woodworking, mental aerobics, exercises and sensory stimulation to meet client/resident’s physical, social, emotional, intellectual and spiritual needs and interests; develops goals and objectives of program.
- Supervises Activity Worker as well as other designated staff by performing duties such as scheduling and coordinating work assignments, evaluating employee performance and determining related training and orientation requirements.
- Determines the recreation/leisure program(s) which meet the client/resident’s needs and abilities by reviewing the referral or care plan, interviewing the client/resident regarding their social/leisure history and consulting with family and nursing staff; identifies, evaluates, implements and documents recreation/leisure goals and
objectives based on individual interests and abilities.
- Sets up a calendar of events/activity programs and teaches the techniques of related activities; contacts external agencies for program resources; performs translations to activity related information such as recreation calendar and event posters.
- Monitors, evaluates and documents client/resident progress within the recreation/leisure program(s) and reports observations such as emotional well-being and social behavior to nursing/medical staff as required. Participates in multidisciplinary team meetings and care reviews. Identifies and makes recommendations regarding community and facility resources that may be of additional interest or need to the client/resident.
- Completes and maintains related records and documentation such as statistics, progress notes, activity plans and client/resident activity profiles.
- Monitors program expenditures and provides input to the program budget; oversees inventory of equipment, tools and materials and recommends purchase of the same.
- Schedules work assignments of and provide direction to designated volunteers; contacts facility administration or volunteer services for additional volunteer resources as required.
- Assists Administrative Assistant in collecting monthly payments and gives out receipts.
- Drives clients/residents, volunteers and staffs to and from outings on bus to a maximum of 18 persons. Implements client/resident activity programs outside the facility; checks that client/resident has appropriate clothing and necessary equipment for the activity, confirms details of proposed activity with nursing/medical staff, coordinates the movement of client/residents during the activity and teaches the technique of related activities.
- Performs a variety of routine inspection/maintenance duties on vehicles and equipment such as securing load, cleaning, checking belts, lights and tires and maintaining fluid levels. Informs Recreation Therapist/Manager of vehicle and equipment repair as required.
- Participates in creating and maintaining a safe and healthy work environment by understanding and following health and safety rules, regulations and practices such as Fire, Disaster, WHMIS, MSIP and Infection Control.
- Maintains good communication and interpersonal relationships with the public, clients/residents and other health care team members.
- Promotes resident safety and maintains a safe working environment by following health and safety guidelines such as fire, emergency preparedness, WHMIS, lifts and transfers, and infection control. Ensures that equipment is in safe working condition and follows up as necessary. Reports any issues/concerns related to safety such as, but not limited to, suspected resident abuse, unsafe and hazardous conditions, sentinel and near miss events. Completes incident reports.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Graduation from a recognized Recreation Program. Plus two year’s recent, related experience working with elderly in a long term setting or an equivalent combination of education. training, and experience
- Certificates in CPR, First Aid, and Food safe
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s license is required
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Ability to communicate in Chinese (Cantonese/Mandarin) is an asset
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to supervise, experience of supervision is an asset.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
Benefits: Employee who successfully passed probation will be eligible for the benefits
- Extended Health Care
- Dental Plan
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Long Term Disability Insurance Plan
- Group Life Insurance
Email applications must include “AC – Com 20-01” in the subject line and submit Resume to: [email protected]
Thank you for your interest in joining the SUCCESS Multi-Level Care team. No phone calls please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.