Activity Worker (AW – Com 19-03)
|Collective Agreement:||Community Subsector|
|Salary:||$21.48 – $23.49/ hour|
|Hours of Work:||37.5 hours per week|
About the SUCCESS Multi-Level Care Society
To care for the seniors like our own by providing a continuum of excellent, culturally appropriate services for them. In 1995, the S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Multi-Level Care Society was incorporated with the purpose of establishing linguistically and culturally appropriate care for those seniors in our community. It has now developed into a provider of quality residential care and health services.
This is a regular Full-Time position and this position is required to work 37.5 hours per week. The candidate has to participate in the implementation and assist in planning evaluation of activity programs for resident/clients, encourage resident/client’s participation in rehabilitation/ recreational activities that are related to their assessed needs, ability and interests, assist residents/clients with activities of daily living as required and to promote resident and work safety. This candidate will be reported to the Director, Community Services.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implements and participates in activation, life skills, recreational, and/or social activities designed to meet the needs of residents/clients, providing demonstrations as required. Adapts and modifies established activities to meet the special need of residents/clients.
- Assists in the planning, carrying out and evaluation of recreation/rehabilitation programs such as community outings, arts and crafts, sports, music, woodworking, cooking, gardening, exercise and discussions; consults with family and staff in order to determine the activities which meet the residents/clients’ needs.
- Sets up and organizes furnishings and equipment for the activity.
- Observes residents/clients and their environments, and reports unsafe conditions and behavioral, physical, and/or cognitive changes to supervisor. Promote resident/client participation in activities, and provides feedback regarding the performance and progress of residents/clients.
- Participates in the monitoring of equipment, tools, materials, and supplies. Checks for safety of same, and reports malfunctions and purchase requirements to the appropriate staff. Maintains cleans and stores equipment in accordance with established procedures.
- Prepares for and accompanies residents/clients on community outings by performing duties such as ensuring that residents/clients have appropriate clothing, necessary equipment, and funds for activities.
- Provides assistance with resident/client activities of daily living such as toileting, bathing and grooming.
- Assists residents/clients with rehabilitation activities such as mobility and strengthening exercises, walking programs etc.
- Receives resident/client feedback, inquiries, and complaints, and responds as required.
- Provides assistance, instruction and feedback to volunteers, students, and community resource groups via in-services and one-on-one instruction, on recreation therapy topics including communicating effectively with older adults, doing hand-over-hand activities and using wheelchairs safely.
- Assists with assessment by performing duties such as taking leisure histories, reviewing background information, and preparing leisure assessments for use in developing goals with residents/clients to enhance their quality of life by maintaining and improving physical, cognitive, social, emotional, and spiritual functioning.
- Participating in meetings such as client review meeting, family meetings, staff meetings as needed.
- Reports observations, concerns, and changes in residents/clients’ condition, abilities, and behaviors to appropriate team members.
- Completes and maintains related records and documentation such as statistics, progress reports, activity participation reports, attendance record, observation reports, and client activity profiles.
- Participates in setting up calendar of events/activities and teaches the techniques of related activities, contacts external agencies for program resources.
- Participates in Continuous Quality Improvement activities.
- Promotes resident safety and maintains a safe working environment by following health and safety guidelines such as fire, emergency preparedness, WHMIS, lifts and transfers, and infection control. Ensures that equipment is in safe working condition and follows up as necessary. Reports any issues/concerns related to safety such as, but not limited to, suspected resident abuse, unsafe and hazardous conditions, sentinel and near miss events. Completes incident reports.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Grade 12 & graduation from a recognized Recreational / Activity Assistant program, plus one year’s recent, related experience with elderly clients in a long-term care setting, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Certification CPR, First Aid and Food Safe.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to write and speak Chinese is an asset
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to teach
- Ability to organize work
- Ability to operate related equipment
Benefits: Employee who successfully passed probation will be eligible for the benefits
- Extended Health Care
- Dental Plan
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Long Term Disability Insurance Plan
- Group Life Insurance
- Medical Service Plan
Email applications must include “AW – Com 19-03” in the subject line and submit Resume to: [email protected]
Thank you for your interest in joining the SUCCESS Multi-Level Care team. No phone calls please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.