Title: CANN Interpreter (Fluent in Tigrinya or Farsi or Somali or Rohingya)
Job Number: 11701
Salary: $20.88 to $22.76/ hour + shift premium
Number of Positions: 4 (1 for each language)
About the Position:
The CANN Interpreter Provides interpretation and translation services for the Community Airport Newcomers Network (CANN) program at the Vancouver International Airport for government-assisted and privately-sponsored refugees upon arrival and facilitates the landing process.
Reports to: CANN Frontline Supervisor
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides written translation of program resources as assigned.
- Provides interpretation and translation assistance for the program.
- Promotes national settlement, community, and government services and events to refugees.
- Provides services to refugees including assistance in landing procedures, meals, clothing issuance, interpretation, transportation to temporary residence, overnight stay, and connecting flights.
- Reports information to supervisor as necessary.
- Attends staff meeting and training as assigned.
- Completes other related program duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Translation and interpretation experience
- Certification in translation and interpretation preferred
- Undergraduate degree in social sciences or a related discipline preferred
- Experience working with diverse clientele
Job Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledgeable of settlement and integration; services and programs for newcomers; immigration trends and policies; and resources for newcomers
- Fluent in English (written and verbal) and Tigrinya or Farsi or Somali or Rohingya
- Detail oriented and able to respond quickly to new or changing work demands.
- Proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Commitment to providing client-centered services, excellent team player, and ability to multi-task
- Creative and passionate about working with refugees to enhance settlement and integration
- Good physical fitness and health (this position requires extensive periods of standing and walking)
- Available to work a flexible schedule (including early morning, afternoons, evenings, weekends & extended hours as necessary) and able to work extended shifts, split shifts, and on short notice
- Clear criminal record check, eligibility to work in Canada and airport security clearance required
How to Apply:
S.U.C.C.E.S.S. embraces diversity and encourages all qualified applicants to apply.
Interested candidates please apply by sending a cover letter and resume before June 30, 2019, using the following email subject line “CANN Interpreter” and submitting applications to: [email protected]
Resume and cover letter should not be longer than 3 pages. No phone calls please. While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.