Job Number: 11667
Title: Finance Manager
Nature: Full-Time (35 hours per week)
Number of Positions: 1
About the Position:
This role supports the CFO in ensuring accuracy and timeliness in all aspects of reporting. This will include all monthly, quarterly and year-end reporting both internally and externally. The ability to manage multiple, complex, projects at once and meeting their associated deadlines is key.
Reports to: CFO
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engaging in Strategic Planning and Decision Making
- Prepare the annual operation and capital budgets for all reporting entities. Direct the preparation of short-term and long-range plans and budgets based on broad Agency goals and growth objectives.
- Prepare, analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements, and oversee all financial, project/program and fund accounting.
- Analyze information, forecast revenues against expenses and create annual budget plans.
- Compile information, analyze and monitor actual financial results to budgets/forecasts.
- Provide analytical support during budget reviews to identify variances and mitigation actions to address slippages.
- Coordinate and analyze the financial performance to management and other special projects as required.
- Utilize interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrate honesty/integrity; lead by example.
- Oversees internal, external and regulatory audit processes.
- Provide excellent leadership by assigning team members and other departments managers’/directors’ clear accountability backed by appropriate authority.
- Oversee the responsibilities, authorities, and accountability of all direct subordinates.
- Ability to function as a leader including coaching and facilitation skills. Provide technical guidance.
- Manage/mentor a team and promote a team environment that aligns with the vision of the Agency.
- Attend meetings and communicate with management, understand the priorities and strategic focus.
- Coordinate and lead internal and external financial audits.
- Understand and meet the needs of key stakeholders (management, funders, bankers, etc.).
- Demonstrate an understanding of cash flow and Agency priorities.
- Act as a professional, collaborative working partner with other Departments and Program Managers and Directors.
- Oversee client facing activities ensuring requests are dealt with in most efficient and professional manner.
- Ensure financial results are documented accurately and timely.
- Monitor all taxes that apply, ensuring that taxes are current, collected and/or accrued.
- Submit financial reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines.
- Develop and support achievement of performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Review audit issues to ensure accuracy.
- Possess analytical and evaluation skills coupled with strong planning, monitoring, analytical, evaluation and reporting expertise.
- Results oriented within a high-pressure working environment that have numerous critical timelines coupled with excellent ability to organize and prioritize workload and meet deadlines.
- Monitor the financial performance of the group according to accounting standards, compile and analyze financial reporting packages.
- Prepare quarterly forecasts and annual operating budgets, develop and manage financial controls in accordance with the Agency’s policies and procedures.
- Provide financial leadership and guidance through strong financial analysis, reporting, budgeting, forecasting, cash management, controls and risk management.
- Assess the efficiency and effectiveness of existing operations; develop and implement improvements to operational processes.
- Generate and provide accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
- Ensure that the income statement is accurate (e.g., costs are properly matched to revenue, costs are recorded in the proper accounts).
- Ensure compliance with agreements (e.g. contribution agreements/operator agreements/etc.) and reporting requirements.
- Ensure compliance with Canadian GAAP and Agency’s policies and procedures.
- Maintain, update and implement as needed, all necessary business policies and accounting practices.
- Ensure team members are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
- Ensure new hires receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
- Create appropriate development plans which develop team members based on their individual strengths, development needs, career aspirations and abilities.
- Conduct performance review process for employees.
- Collaborate with employees in the establishment of clear and concise development plans to ensure succession planning and the advancement of future leaders within the organization.
- Manage and provide ongoing training to accounting personnel.
Leading Finance & Accounting Teams
Anticipating and Delivering on the Needs of Key Stakeholders
Developing and Maintaining Finance and Accounting Goals
Managing Projects and Policies
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree Required in Accounting or Finance.
- Possess 3-5+ years of post-designation work experience (at least 2+ years’ experience in a managerial experience) in the financial reporting and relevant experience in non-profit sector.
- Canadian Professional Accounting Designation (CPA) is mandatory (in good standing)
- Strong working knowledge of Canadian GAAP.
- Proven leadership, management and supervisory experience with an excellent sense of corporate and project priority and strong business acumen are critical.
- Demonstrated ability to strategically and creatively solve complex problems within a dynamic and changing environment.
- Broad knowledge of computerized financial systems and procedures coupled with strong computer literacy with Microsoft Office products (Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint).
- Working experience with Great Plains or YARDI would be considered a strong asset.
Job Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, stakeholders (individually and in groups) with strong ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders (internal and external).
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Adaptable to a fast-paced environment with the changing priorities, tasks and client conditions.
- Proven ability to work in fast paced environment, prioritize projects and deliverables, and interact effectively with cross-function teams
- Clear criminal record check
How to Apply:
S.U.C.C.E.S.S. values diversity and encourages all qualified applicants to apply.
Interested candidates please apply via email with the following e-mail subject line “Finance Manager” and submitting applications to: [email protected]
Resume and cover letter should be no more than 3 pages total. No phone calls please. While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.