Tenant Relations Coordinator (Unionized)
Job Number: 11653
Title: Tenant Relations Coordinator (Unionized)
Nature: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Number of Positions: 1
Salary: $25.00 per hour
Location: Vancouver Lower Mainland
About the Position:
Responsible for coordinating tenant relations and housing services through oversight, provision, development and action on areas such as: tenant administration, supporting tenant selection and application processes; tenant mediation; tenant relations; tenant support and community building; connecting residents to internal S.U.C.C.E.S.S. services or externally in the community. Assisting tenants’ experiencing difficulties with rent/utilities payment and/or processes. Tenant Relations Coordinator provides tenant relations support to specific sites and can function as the alternate representative in matters of resident relations at the RTB. Tenant Relations Coordinator is included in the emergency after-hours team where tenants are impacted. Works in a unionized environment.
Reports to: Housing Services Manager
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the Model, Mission, Vision and Values of the department and organization by interpreting and championing these for tenants needs.
- Participates in the Continuous Quality Improvement and Risk Management activities of the department.
- Responds to tenant enquiries, complaints and emergencies and takes appropriate action at all times.
- May act as a representative for the organization in liaison with internal and external groups, specific to the area of responsibility. Coordinating with stakeholders to facilitate the provision of a wide range of tenant support referral services/programming
- Coordinates and monitors formation of tenant council(s)/committee(s) and facilitate meetings and attend as staff representative
- Coordinates the tenant selection and waitlist process in accordance with departmental and agency policies, for clarity and transparency.
- Supports Housing Manager as needed with recruitment and interview of prospective tenants, showing vacant suites and explaining rules and regulations.
- Knowledge and experience with preparation of tenancy agreements and other documents as required.
- Coordinates and takes the lead role in the annual rent review process
- Coordinates the tenancy agreement forms and addendums, including revisions as needed due to changes in the RTA for:
- Income assistance tenants;
- RGI (Rent Geared to Income) income tested tenants;
- Addendums related to other aspects of tenancy (e.g. pets, parking, smoking, etc.).
- Coordinates in collaboration with Maintenance staff:
- Administration of tenant move-in and move-out processes;
- Direct fire drills – implements and maintains fire drill program for tenants and revise as necessary;
- Maintenance repair requests and repair arrangements for specific high need tenants – follow up on work orders to ensure completion;
- Opening and closing of annual seasonal tenant events, such as tenant led gardens and seasonal celebrations in a non-denominational setting;
- Annual unit inspections, compliance and feedback process with tenants; and
- Communication with difficult tenants’ regarding standards for rental unit conditions upon move-in/move-out.
- Coordinates tenant files to meet the legislative requirements of the Residential Tenancy Act (RTA), Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) and the policies of the organization regarding privacy and appropriate content.
- Conducts periodic audits of tenant files for standards and consistency
- Coordinates the client service feedback, including:
- Receiving tenants’ feedback and responding/referring issues/concerns as needed;
- Coordinating the formal tenant complaint process and mediate where necessary in line with organizational and RTA policy and procedures;
- Evaluating continuously to foster services improvement through best practice information;
- Working to resolve tenant-to-tenant issues through the use of problem-solving techniques;
- Corresponding with tenants as needed, including ensuring appropriate notices are served;
- Completing incidents and other reports, assisting in drafts and delivering notices to tenants as required; and
- Applying for Dispute Resolution and representing the organization at the RTB.
- Identifies the needs of various groups within the tenant population by using a variety of methods that may include needs assessment surveys, focus groups or meetings. Coordinates these to seek or develop programs to meet those needs.
- Communicates internal or external programs to tenants through notices, monthly events calendar or electronic newsletters.
- Identifies tenants/families who may need further individual assessment and support and acts on all routine and emergency referrals as needed.
- Reports on tenant related policies and procedures, making suggestions for improvement or changes, including information and filing systems, manuals and forms. Assures that team members are consequently informed.
- Assists in collecting rental or utility payments for difficult or specific need tenants and performs documentation in YARDI software.
- Supports the coordination for documentation of late payments or payment plans for rent and energy payments, including working with tenants to reduce the frequency of arrears. Sets parameters for late payments and the impact on tenancy (e.g. through a process of reminders, letters and eviction notices).
- Supports, as needed, the following administrative procedures:
- Receive rent payments and prepare deposits;
- Answer phones and perform front desk reception duties when needed;
- Understand and coordinate consistent messaging when dealing with tenants on policy and procedures.
- Provides input on month-end or year-end packages for Finance as required for budget or performance in regards to tenant relations programming and needs.
- Attends meetings and performs other related duties as required by the position. Communication with difficult tenants’ regarding standards for rental unit conditions upon move-in/move-out.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 and relevant post-secondary education in Social Services, Social Worker, Mediation or suitable combination of education and experience.
- Significant experience in the provision of customer service, problem solving and conflict resolution, especially with marginalized populations.
- Experience in tenant management and mediation.
- Strong working knowledge of the RTA.
- Experience in building collaborative networks with community services to develop programming and access services for tenants.
- Experience with YARDI an asset.
Job Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Exceptional team-player and interpersonal skills.
- Fluent written and oral communication in English and Cantonese. Other languages an asset.
- Strong skills in documentation and letter writing.
- Ability to work independently and in a team, well organized, results oriented, and problem solver.
- Intermediate level of MS Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Subject to a clear criminal record check.
- May be required to respond to tenant relation emergencies outside of office hours.
How to Apply:
S.U.C.C.E.S.S. embraces diversity and encourages all qualified applicants to apply.
Interested candidates please apply by using the following e-mail subject line “Tenant Relations Coordinator” and submitting your applications to: [email protected]
The position will remain open until filled. Resume and cover letter should not be longer than 3 pages. While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.