Immigrants in Trades Training Initiative (ITTI) is an Industry Training Authority (ITA) funded project that assists immigrants in attaining recognized certification in the trades. The mission of ITTI is to inform, guide and support participants in choosing and accessing the appropriate resources and services to meet their goals.
In British Columbia, there are over 140 regulated trades including: carpenters, electricians, plumbers and welders; as well as bakers, cooks, hairdressers and industrial Instrument mechanic, etc. Please take the time to visit the ITA Website at: http://www.itabc.ca/. Here you will find the latest information for each specific Trade.
This Program Offers:
- Free support to determine the right trade certification for you. We provide participants with information needed to decide whether to seek an apprenticeship, to seek additional training or to complete the Challenge Application for certification.
- Development of a Trades Action Plan (TAP) that includes career exploration, ITA trade route, job search skills, English language skills,appropriate survival job, and funding and other resources.
- Access to trades-related networking opportunities.
- Long-term support and guidance in utilizing effective strategies and accessing available resources.
- Financial supports to overcome specific barriers to gaining Trades Qualifications. The supports are determined on a per person basis and may include but are not limited to the costs associated with: tuition, books and study materials, refresher courses, costs associated with application forms, transportation while in school, purchase of essential tools and work related clothing and personal safety items as required.
- If you are unemployed , you are eligible as long as
You are not currently receiving EI
You have not received EI or been in receipt of EI in the past 3 years (5 years for maternity and parental EI)
You have not established an EI claim in the past 3 years
- If you are employed (full time, part time and/or self employed), you are eligible as long as
You have not completed a degree/diploma granting program within Canada
You do not have recognized certifications (e.g. Class 1 Driver's License, Commercial Driver Certificate, etc.)
300-8191 Westminster Highway, Richmond, BC, V6X 1A7
Telephone: 604-231-3344 ext. 120; Cell: 604-218-5162; Fax: 604-231-0345